Have you ever wondered what’s exactly our school Social and Psychological Service?
APEEEL1 asks 10 questions on their work and a bit of history.
- What’s the Social and Psychological Service mission?
Our mission is primarily to provide support in academic, emotional and behavioral manners concerning students. We also participate in the proceedings of the Special Education Needs and provide support and information to teachers in relation to students with specific needs.
Important: we are not doing psychoeducational and/or diagnostic assessments. These assessments must be made outside the school
This service runs since 2009. We think that it’s initiated by Luxembourgish “Service de psychologie et d’orientation scolaires” (SPOS). Inside the [local] school in Luxembourg they have psychologist, assistant social among other things.
- Why both social and psychological?
In psychology, you have a social part for example interaction between children, parents/children, teachers/children…
But sometimes we are confronted to situations in which the social part is not in our competences like money problems, domestic violence,. for that it could be great to have a social worker like in Luxemburgish SPOS.
- How many members are involved in this service?
Mrs Bataille, Mrs Fass and Mrs Fernandez.
- Mrs Bataille and Mrs Fass work in primary and secondary. They have divided the work by section. It is useful to follow a student until the BAC.
- Mrs Bataille is in charge of the French, Portuguese, Spanish, Polish and Finnish sections firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mrs Fass is in charge of the Dutch, German, Swedish, Lithuanian and English sections email@example.com
- Mrs Fernandez is in charge of the maternelle.part and of the well-being project firstname.lastname@example.org
- How can we contact you?
The easiest way is by email because we can be often out of office for observations
Who is the initiator? Teacher? Parent? Pupil? Other?
Everybody is welcome to contact us
Someone gives approval?
Not necessarily, we are part of the pedagogical team.
And then what?
Depending on the situation and the demand, we give advice, follow a situation, take contacts…
- How long does it take from requesting an appointment to have it?
A few days depending on our timetable and the work we have but no more than a week
- How long does each appointment take?
Depending on the setting: sometimes some minutes and in other situations much longer
- How many appointments can you have?
Depending on the situation – if it is a complex situation we do suggest to the students/parents to external experts because we are not supposed to do therapy in school.
- Is the pupil always present on these appointments?
Depending on the situations: when the student asks for the appointment, the person is present. Sometimes parents/teachers ask for appointments, then the student can be present or not.
- What are the usual cases?
Cognitive and emotional situations…the situations are so different that is too complicated to enumerate them.
- What is an example of success story you would like to share with?
Unfortunately we cannot give detailed information (professional secret and data protection), KiVa could be mentioned as a success story